10 January 2009

La Fête du Fromage: Apple Cinnamon Monterey Jack

I've been absent from Loulou's cheese event the past month or so, as the time before last in Kalona we (gasp!) forgot about the cheese shop. I wasn't about to pay regular price for any cheese beyond shredded cheddar and mozzarella, so I've had to abstain, but fortunately we returned to the joys of cheese this month. You can see a photo of the making of cheese curds at my photo blog, if you're so inclined. I didn't get any cheese curds, but I did get a few new cheeses to sample, including this lovely (on sale) apple cinnamon monterey jack.

Like any monterey jack, this one is soft and a good melter. I melted it on a tortilla for a snack, which is satisfying, and I also tried it as pictured on crackers with a green salad for a light supper. The apple cinnamon is stronger in smell than in taste, which is very subtle. The cheese is dotted with little bits of it, but you pick up more on the monterey jack's own cheesy flavour than the addition. That was okay by me, as super-sweet cheeses are much harder to pair with other things. This went well with my toasted wheat crackers, which at least gave me the illusion that I was eating healthy!

6 comments:

Helene said...

I bet this is delicious with some Granny Smith apple!
Thanks for stopping by!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like good cheese to mix in a salad with nuts and apples. Never seen it before.
Thanks for the Fête du Fromage entry!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That cheese looks so good. Never heard of it.

Sara said...

This sounds really unique, I bet it tastes delicious!

Emily said...

I.. would like this. I never turn down cheese in any form.

SarahMarian said...

Oh my god, the fete du fromage sounds like my dream come true. I have to say I'm with emily about the whole not turning down cheese thing.