10 November 2009

TWD: Cran-apple Crisps

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie host is Em of the Repressed Pastry Chef, and she chose Cran-Apple Crisps for our recipe. This one was a big hit with my Sunday brunch guests, which is a bit of a relief, since Dorie's recipes have not been on the whole particularly successful for me thus far. I don't want to believe that such a big book of such good-looking recipes will yield a ton of flops! Here, my friend Bizzy shows her enjoyment of said crisp.

I made one large version as Dorie allows for, but instead of a 9" deep dish pie pan I used an 8" square pan (a little topping left over, but for the most part it worked. I had a vegan and a gluten-free guest coming, so I made the filling first without the flour and put a bit of the fruit into a couple of oiled tartelette tins, then finished the recipe. The small ones only took about 25-30 minutes, the full crisp about 40. The fruit was hot and bubbling before the crisp was browned, but everything worked out well. Other bakers complained about the sweetness of the crisp, and I suppose it could be more tart, but I had enough of a sweet tooth to enjoy this one

6 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Looks great.

Sorry that you had so many flops.

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed the crisp, it looks great. I think the topping sounds wonderful. I can't wait to make it!

Karen said...

I have found that Dorie's recipes for crisps and crumb topped things are especially good. This one was no exception!

TeaLady said...

Looks good. Glad your friends enjoyed it.

Hope the rest of Dorie's recipes work out for you.

Carver said...

The white bear and monkey are both fine and back in your room! The survived an evening on the front porch. You can put them out of my reach when you come home if you like.

That looks like a delicious crisp.

Love, Mom

Tia said...

Lovely! :)