24 January 2008

Vegan Baking Makes Everything Better

This is the second time I've been amazed by how much better a vegan recipe is than the dairy one. Granted, this is a completely different recipe than the last time I made oatmeal cookies, but still I'm amazed by how much more I like this version. They're still chewy (I guess you can't really have a crisp oatmeal cookie) but these are moist and delicious and just sticky enough to hold together, rather than crumbling or tasting dry after a few days.

The basic recipe came, I think, from the vegan_cooking community on LiveJournal, though I'm not entirely sure. I found it in my recipe file and went with it because I didn't have any eggs but really wanted to use the oven, as the wind chill was -24 Farenheit last weekend when I baked them, and I really needed to warm up my apartment. I deviated a little from the recipe because I didn't have whole wheat flour, and I used cinnamon applesauce instead of plain (which I actually think was an improvement). The recipe suggested adding chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or nuts, but I wanted to use some more of my chocolate covered toffee pieces.

So the basic idea is this. Mix together 1/2 a cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup applesauce, and 1 t vanilla. You'll get a dark, grainy liquid. Then in another bowl, mix 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 t baking soda, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t baking powder, and 1/4 t salt. Stir the dry into the wet, a little at a time. You may need some arm strength toward the end. I like to dump a little of the flour mixture into the centre, then incorporate from the centre out, scraping the sides of my bowl before I add some more. Stir in 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats and 3/4 cups toffee chips (or chip/nut of your choice). Drop spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet (note: these are really too soft to try to use foil) and bake 8-10 minutes at 375, or until the bottoms are a nice medium coppery brown. Cool on a rack.

No comments: