01 June 2008

AVF #3: A Vegetarian Feast in a Quiche Roundup



Wow! This round we had quite a few entries to AVF, and I'm super-excited. Y'all must really like quiche.

I'm doing something a bit new this time, in that I've decided to go ahead and do another round in a month, and announce the theme right away, so that we can keep the ball rolling so to speak. AVF #4 will be... a Vegetarian Picnic Feast! This is obviously very open-ended, so feel free to be creative. Meatless grilled items, salads, desserts, sandwiches... whatever YOU like to eat outdoors, that's fine by me. The due date is Friday, July 4th. Now, on with the round up!

First we have Holler, stopping by from her blog Tinned Tomatoes with this amazing-looking Tomato and Broccoli Quiche with a Layer of Pea Puree. She suggests less peas next time, but the quiche is beautiful and colourful, and I want to bite through the screen to get a taste of those tomatoes!

 

 

 




Next up is Sylvie from A Pot of Tea and a Biscuit, and she brings us this Roast Vegetable and Gruyere Quiche. Sylvie, how did you know that I'm a sucker for gruyere and red onion? The courgettes/zucchini at the Farmer's Market have been looking great lately, too. I'll have to try this out!

From Closet Cooking, Kevin brings us an Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche. I think asparagus has to be the quiche ingredient. It just makes me think spring, light, and delicious. And of course, you all know I love mushrooms. Thanks, Kevin! I also applaud your use of local asparagus - well done.

Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe is another new face on this blog, and a vegetarian foodblog I haven't seen before - how did that happen? She hails from Melbourne, and though I'd worried that this event wouldn't be very Southern hemisphere-friendly, quiche being such a spring favourite, she stepped up to the challenge with a Pumpkin Cornmeal Quiche, tasty and creative!

As for my own offerings, while my guests all decided to go with the quiche route (and hey, the name was rather catchy), I decided to play with savoury tarts, and specifically with puff pastry. I've never worked with it before, but I had a feeling it would make tarts oh-so-easy (the frozen kind, at least) and delicious. I wasn't wrong! I made a Caramelized Vegetable Tart and a Green Tomato Tarte Tatin (pictured, if a bit blurry, due to camera upload failure). Though I had some troubles with the first one, the green tomato tatin was excellent for spring, and just the combination of Southern and French that I was looking for!

Thank you again to all those who participated and helped spread the word about the event!

4 comments:

Sylvie said...

Thanks for organising such a lovely event. I'll have a think about what I could enter for next month's theme!

Sylvie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alta said...

wow, looks great and yummy

Avory said...

Sylvie - Thanks again for participating!

Alta - Thanks for stopping by. I was impressed by all the entries as well!