07 September 2008

Brunch at Red Avocado

I was annoyed at myself for forgetting to bring my camera to appropriately document this meal, but Rita and I had brunch today at the Red Avocado, Iowa City's only vegetarian restaurant, and I thought I'd at least tell you what I thought. Taste-wise? Fantastic. I had a tisane that was very good and a bowl of coconut corn soup that was well-seasoned and quite coconutty, as well as a portobello crepe. The crepe tasted very nice, but was small and came with a lot of plain old lettuce. We also split a slice of cardamom cake with orange icing that was again, amazing, but too small. This is generally my beef with vegetarian restaurants. Things tend to taste fantastic, use fresh ingredients, etc etc, but the portions are too small, the food isn't very filling, and it's incredibly expensive. $21 plus tip isn't that bad, but I didn't walk away feeling very full and I didn't have anything leftover. If I were to open a vegetarian restaurant, I'd definitely have some very hearty options. I don't mind splurging, but if I'm going to splurge I don't want to go home hungry.

No comments: