20 June 2008

Figs in June?

Yes, I am that crazy. Well, I had about 3/4 of a bottle of really good Muscat left from the Ginger-Ginger cake, but this particular variety has 18% alcohol and I couldn't bring myself to just drink it. When this recipe showed up on Spittoon Extra, a blog I've recently started following, I figured it would be perfect. I like figs, and it would use up almost all my Muscat! Unfortunately, the post didn't include an exact amount for the figs, but I didn't want to buy more than one bag. I went with Calmyrna (sp?) figs instead of Mission the other choice, because these look more like the ones in the picture (and the ones I'm familiar with). I used an eight-inch square pan, which in retrospect was a bad idea.

I liked the taste of the syrup, and the figs themselves were also tasty, but a little tough. I think a loaf pan would've been a better idea, as it would have probably managed to cover all my figs completely and get the outer skins (my least favourite part) juicier and easier to chew. That said, the warm syrup over vanilla ice cream was delicious! They also make a great snack for when you're in the mood for a sweet bite but not quite to the point of breaking out a tub of Ben & Jerry's or a chocolate bar.

5 comments:

Kat said...

How many pints in a tub?

Anonymous said...

You had me at vanilla ice cream. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

Queers United said...

figs are pricey though

Avory said...

Kat - Let's see. I want to say it's just one pint? I'm not very good at pints, though.

Ari - *laughs* I am coming back to a newfound appreciation for vanilla. I need to find some vanilla beans!

Andrew said...

Glad you enjoyed the end result. It is just what I like in a dessert - simple recipe, tasty result!