10 September 2008

They say it's your birthday...

This is part one of two for Blog Party this month. We're celebrating Stephanie's birthday this month, and what better way to do so than with cake? Okay, okay, it's not an appetizer or a drink. But I knew I was coming, so I baked a cake. Deal with it. Tomorrow I'll be having a little wine and cheese tasting for the "official" part of my blog party entry. Out of order, you say? I don't know. I think Stephanie is a dessert first kind of person.

I'm thrilled to be able to celebrate her birthday at Blog Party because (1) Stephanie is one of the small group of bloggers who have really welcomed me and kept me feeling like a part of this great big foodie community and (2) I think I've done more blog parties than any other foodie event. It's always a good time. I chose a coconut angel food cake, which is Alton Brown's recipe plus, well, coconut extract. I thought about adding shredded coconut, but after twenty minutes to get the stupid egg whites to soft peaks, I didn't want to do anything that would risk deflation. In fact, it turned out perfectly! I've sliced it into pieces for all y'all, and I hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Looks good to me :)

NKP said...

Looks wonderful, I have not made an angel food cake before - I am a little scared.
I do have the little comb cutter now - I really should give it a try.
Great to see you at the party.

Avory said...

Natashya - It's not too difficult, you just have to be prepared to whip the egg whites a long time, maybe 15-20 minutes. I recommend sitting down and if you can find a way to rest your arm on something even better.